New Website: Custom Built Or Template Builder?
If you are a business owner, chances are you've been faced with "competition" that you know is nowhere on the level of your services or products. Still, the customer is adamant about taking the more "cost effective" route. It's hard to argue with those whose bottom line is price, even when you know that the slash in price from your competitor comes with a slash in quality. It's the professional photographer who loses business to an amateur with an iPhone. It's the professional pastry chef who loses out to a box of Betty Crocker cake mix. This list can be increased, ad infinitum.
Template Based Websites
- Your website will look like everyone else's. A skilled website designer can minimize this problem though, the most popular themes have been downloaded thousands of times.
- You’re limited in your graphic design and navigation capability. This includes simple web design parameters, like limited choices in icons, or more serious issues like the inability to have the functionality you want.
- Templates aren’t especially well-made or maintained. This can’t be emphasized enough! Not all template developers update their templates to keep up with the changes. If your template isn’t updated regularly, your template might break when you or your developer install a WordPress update. That puts you in the position of having to run an older version of WordPress, which can make your site more vulnerable to hacking. Down the road this can also lead to problems hosting your site, as quality website hosting plans are not willing to host sites that are running severely out-of-date versions of WordPress.
- Certain external plug-ins that may be featured on your site, such as PayPal integration, will update automatically and may cease to work with older versions of WordPress.
- Functionality can be limited in template sites. Adding e-commerce and other kinds of custom applications is difficult or impossible with template websites.
- Security can be an issue. People who enjoy writing malicious code find template websites especially tempting, because they represent the opportunity to hack multiple sites at once.
The Value Of Custom Built Web Design
- Your branding will be much stronger when a site is designed to fit you, rather than trying to get a template to fit your brand.
- There are no limitations on graphics and functionality. If you can imagine it, a custom website can be programmed to do it.
- Custom-built websites are flexible and can grow with you. Down the road you might need significant changes to not only the design, but also the functionality of your website. It’s much easier to add new features to a custom website.
- Search engine optimization is better in our custom-built websites. We build websites from scratch and have the technical knowledge to make sure your website is optimized for search engines. This is a key part of your digital marketing strategy, especially if you are targeting a specific geographic area or service/product segment.
- Custom-built websites are necessary for e-commerce. If you want an online store that’s more than just a couple of items, a template site is inadequate.
And The Winner Is...???
The verdict is in and its unanimous. WE WANT CAKE!!! And not just any cake...that delicious, light & fluffy, mouth watering cake, made, of course, by a professional pastry chef. Once you've had your cake, give us a call and we'll be happy to continue this conversation with you, even if you have to talk with you mouth full! EDG eAdvertising Solutions offers personalized web services uniquely developed for your needs. If you can dream it, we can build it! Get A Quote today!